Once only found among the Pennsylvania Dutch, Amish and other rural American kitchens, Scrapple has made a name for itself as an important part of breakfast, lunch and dinner in many parts of the world. While some cooks prefer to keep their Scrapple recipe a secret, the best kept secret of all seems to be How to Cook Scrapple!
There is a secret to cooking Scrapple and nothing spices up a bland plate of scrambled eggs like a slice of crispy Scrapple!
How to Make Crispy Scrapple
You’re going to need:
- Fresh Scrapple
- Frying pan
- Sharp knife
- Olive oil spray
- Spray a frying pan with a very light coating of olive oil spray.Scrapple itself has enough fat content to keep it from sticking to a non-stick surface pan, but the oil will give your slices the essential crispy coating that makes the difference between crunchy and soggy.
- Heat the frying pan. This is the trick to cooking crispy, not gushy Scrapple. The pan must be very hot before placing the meat in it to cook. Set the temperature very close to the highest setting. Use a good, clean frying pan and a very sharp knife.
- Cut the Scrapple into 1/4 inch slices. If you slice it any thinner it will cook too fast; any thicker and it will be mushy.
- Once the frying pan has reached its peak heat, place the slices in the pan. If it’s hot enough you will hear the Scrapple begin to sizzle right away.
- Turn the Scrapple after five minutes, and let the other side crisp up for another five minutes. Your meat should be sizzling without burning to get that solid, crispness that makes it so tantalizing.
- Nudge that tasty slice of spiced delicacy onto your plate right beside those sunshine yellow eggs, top it off with a dash of ketchup and savor the spicy goodness of this crispy madness!
Remember, the medium high heat of the frying pan is the secret to the best, crispy Scrapple. Don’t use so much oil that it puddles in the pan – just a light spray will do the job.
But, Scrapple isn’t just for breakfast anymore! Scrapple can be a great addition to many of your meal and party menus! You may also want to read How to Deep Fry Scrapple and some unique ideas for using Scrapple to make The Best Super Bowl Snacks!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Site Disclosure Statement:
This site is for entertainment purposes only. No information provided is from a professional and should not be considered as such. You are advised to consult a professional for all matters. The owner of this site has affiliate relationships with a variety of sponsors and may receive monetary compensation for advertising displayed on this site by sponsored ads, sponsored articles and as a result of any purchase you may make by clicking through to sponsor sites.